Tuition and Workshops
‘Through her original compositions and arrangements Kay led an informative and fun session to local brass teachers’
– David Rose, Vice-Principal, Community Learning MK: Music Faculty
As a music educator I deliver workshops for schools, Music Hubs, bands and ensembles, for young people and also INSET sessions for teachers. My specialisms lie in instrumental work and Primary music including whole class ensemble teaching (WCET)/First Access. I have published tutor books and ensemble pieces for brass and woodwind (Spartan Press) and a book of progressive pieces for WCET (Warwick Music).
Book me to work with your tutors, band or orchestra.
News and recent project highlights
- pBuzz compositions win the Music category of the 2018 Teach Primary Resource Awards with the maximum rating of 5 stars!
- Music Gurus – online video courses based on my trumpet tutor book Are You Ready?
- Co-leader of workshop at WOMAD UK 2018 with Bollywood Brass Band
- pBuzz compositions nominated for Educational Resource of the Year 2018 (Warwick Music/Music Education Solutions) by the Education Awards
- Leader of INSET session for LSO Discovery‘s KS2 schools concert – Voyager (summer 2018)
- Presenter at the London Music and Drama Education Expo 2018. In assocaition with Warwick Music – 100 delegates playing my beginner repertoire on pTrumpets
- Speaker at the First Access Forum 2017 on First Access – progression and engagement through an aural approach
- INSET sessions for First Access teachers in Harrow and Herts Music Hubs September 2017
- Workshop leader for Bollywood Brass Academy – sessions with young musicians in Slough Music Hub, Bedford Music Hub and Middleton Youth Brass Band in Manchester 2017-18
- Workshop leader for Music Education Solutions
- Mentor for CoLab Bollywood workshops at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance 2015
- A session on Whole Class Ensemble Tuition for Trinity Music Tracks at the Music Expo, London in 2014
- Arts Award Advisor for Discover and Explore
- Workshop leader and curriculum music manager at Plumcroft Primary School
- Bollywood Blast! (2012-13)
I devised this year-long project with Bollywood Brass Band and Music Hubs in Barnet, Ealing, Enfield and Harrow. Funded by The Mayor’s Music Fund, I created brass repertoire for brass tuition and ensembles in each borough. See the article in Music Teacher Magazine.The brass tutor books and ensembles are published by Spartan Press.The East West Project (2013-4) year-long project was devised with Bollywood Brass Band and Music Hubs in Greenwich and Lewisham. Funded by The Mayor’s Music Fund, the project created new ensembles in each borough; I led workshops and Inset for brass, woodwind and drums.
Kay Charlton’s YouTube channel is an exciting and innovative way of teaching brass to pupils. Whether as a support to home practice with current pupils or for any young brass player that is looking for a resource to inspire them to play then this is for them. I’ll certainly be using it!’
David Rose – Music Service Manager, Bedford
This channel incudes lessons on how to play songs from ‘Are You Ready‘ which is designed for whole class brass teaching and beginner trumpeters.
Plumcroft Community Feast 2016
Summer Arts Week – Feeling Good
School Band at the Summer Spectacular
- Berkshire Maestros (Berkshire South Youth Brass) and the Notorious Dholi’s in my arrangement of Jai Ho and Dil Laga Na at the Schools Prom at London’s Royal Albert Hall, 11 Nov 2009.
- Fodens Richardson Brass Band at the Lichfield Festival 2005
- Youth Brass Bands at Manchester’s Bridgewater Hall 2004