Tuition and Workshops
‘Through her original compositions and arrangements Kay led an informative and fun session to local brass teachers’
– David Rose, Vice-Principal, Community Learning MK: Music Faculty
As a music educator I deliver workshops for schools, Music Hubs, bands and ensembles, for young people and also INSET sessions for teachers. My specialisms lie in creative music workshops, world music, instrumental work and Primary music including whole class ensemble teaching (WCET)/First Access. I have published tutor books and ensemble pieces for brass and woodwind (Spartan Press) and a book of progressive pieces for WCET (Warwick Music).
Book me to work with your tutors, band or orchestra.
News and recent creative project/presenter highlights
- New publication for Collins Music 1st Oct 2020 – How to Teach Whole-Class Instrumental Lessons: 50 inspiring ideas
- Guest lecturer on Advanced Instrumental/Vocal Teaching course, Trinity Laban 2020
- Workshop Leader for Oi Musica weekend, ‘Training the Streetband Teacher-Leader’, Edinburgh 2019
- Guest Lecturer on Instrumental Teaching, Leeds College of Music, 2019
- Presenter at Oslo City Conference, Norway on ‘Music and Motivation’, 2019
- Workshop leader for Malmesbury Schools Project at WOMAD Festival with Bollywood Brass Band, 2019
- pBuzz compositions win the Music category of the 2018 Teach Primary Resource Awards with the maximum rating of 5 stars!
- Music Gurus – online video courses based on my trumpet tutor book Are You Ready?
- Co-leader of workshop at WOMAD UK 2018 with Bollywood Brass Band
- pBuzz compositions nominated for Educational Resource of the Year 2018 (Warwick Music/Music Education Solutions) by the Education Awards
- Leader of INSET session for LSO Discovery‘s KS2 schools concert – Voyager (summer 2018)
- Presenter at the London Music and Drama Education Expo 2018. In assocaition with Warwick Music – 100 delegates playing my beginner repertoire on pTrumpets
- Speaker at the First Access Forum 2017 on First Access – progression and engagement through an aural approach
- INSET sessions for First Access teachers in Harrow and Herts Music Hubs September 2017
- Workshop leader for Bollywood Brass Academy – sessions with young musicians in Slough Music Hub, Bedford Music Hub and Middleton Youth Brass Band in Manchester 2017-18
Conducting at Music for Youth Schools Prom